Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Hallowen!

On my very first Halloween, figuring I might as well set the bar high from the outset, I went as both Tom AND Jerry. (see below) The costume was, as far as I remember, straight out of that Dan Aykroyd SNL skit when he tries to tell Jane Curtain that the "Johnny Space Commander" costume of a plastic bag and a rubber band is safe and fun. The vinyl of the bib thingy was beyond flammable, and very certainly toxic, and the only air hole in the mask was a teeny tiny slit near the mouth. It's a wonder, looking back, that I didn't spontaneously combust and/or asphyxiate during the course of the evening.


With my BFF and trick or treating buddy for the next 15 years.

I don't remember much about the first one, probably due to a near-fatal-sugar-overload-blackout, but I do remember all the successive ones, all with my bestie and her little sister, all in the end reaching a fever pitch of excitement, happiness, and chocolate. This was back in the good old days when you could trick or treat at night and only marginally supervised, and as long as we had one parent with us, we were allowed to run rampant through the streets of Cambridge.

This being Cambridge of course, the costumes were esoteric bordering on ludicrous, taken more seriously than the candy itself, and planned months and months in advance. One year I was Poseidon, with a trident made out of papier mache and an old rake. One year I was Carmen Miranda, the next the Bride of Frankenstein (Elsa Lanchester version, natch) My best friend Sarah was, in no particular order: Isis, Ishtar, and a cigarette.

I should have realised then that the post-trick-or-treat candy organisation was a sign of OCD to come. Returning home to Sarah's house, we would dump our plastic buckets out on the floor of her living room and spend twenty silent minutes obsessively arranging it in piles according to type and taste appreciation. Then the trading began.

Reese cups were GOLD - a full size one could get you a mini Snickers AND a PayDay, no questions asked. After that were Milky Ways, Caramellos, KitKats, etc. The bottom of the candy barrel, (in other words un-tradeable and therefore to be given to parents) were Dots (ew), Rollos, and Charleston Chews.

Sarah loved Tootsie Rolls and Starbursts, so I set mine aside to be bartered for what I wanted, namely the Junior Mints and Peppermint Patties she was piling up for me in return.

When she was old enough, her little sister Joanna was allowed to participate, and for a few glorious years until she wised up, we systematically and ruthlessly robbed her blind, convincing a 5 year-old that one box of Nerds was totally worth a full size Reese Cup.

We did this for the rest of the night, methodically getting rid of what we didn't want and eating what we did. It was the best part of Halloween.

When I look back now, I realise that it was more about the costume creation and the candy organising than the actual consumption. After a handful of Reese Cups and maybe a Peppermint Patty or two, I was ok with Mum "putting the candy in a safe place aka throwing it away." I was too busy planning next year.

AND NOW THAT WALK DOWN SPOOKY MEMORY LANE IS OVER, ON TO COOKIES!

PUMPKIN SPICE OATMEAL WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES


INGREDIENTS

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 ½ cups rolled oats
  • 1 package white chocolate chips

In a large bowl combine the flour, soda, spices, and salt. Set aside. Beat the butter and both sugars together until light and fluffy. Beat in, one at a time, the egg, the pumpkin, and the vanilla.

Off the mixer, stir in the rolled oats, followed by the chocolate chips. FYI, the batter will be on the damp side.


Drop rounded spoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheets and bake at 325 degrees for 12-15 minutes, until set on top and brown around the edges.


Remove to wire racks to cool. 



BEETLE NOTES

These are very cakey, spicy, pumpkiny cookies. I deliberately almost doubled the spices from other pumpkin cookie recipes, knowing that with the addition of oats and white chocolate, these could handle it. I know a lot of people see white chocolate chips in a cookie and immediately throw in cranberries (not without reason, it must be said, it's a good combo) but I wanted PUMPKIN to be the major taste here.

I knew that white chocolate would be a rich, sweet, compliment to the earthy vegetable-ness of pumpkin and the bite of all those spices, and I was worried that the tartness and chewiness of cranberries would detract and confuse. Oatmeal would add nuttiness and crunch, but without disturbing the balance. 

Also, I wanted to keep it simple. Minimalist. 

I mean, as minimalist as a pumpkin spice oatmeal white chocolate chip cookie can be.

White Chocolate doesn't exactly scream
"elimination of non-essential forms."

These were not meant to be enjoyed by Mum for the very direct reason that she doesn't like white chocolate. Never has, never will. But she put her game face on last night and tried one, bless her, remarking that they were good, dark, and nutty. She said that for her they were a bit sweet, which I chalk up to the white chocolate, but that overall they were definitely a success. 

LL's, I really hope you agree. 


This version is super dark in particular because I used Muscovado sugar instead of regular brown. Not only does it make the cookies physically darker (and one time I made gingersnaps, actually black), it is much more complex than regular brown sugar, with a stronger, deeper, more three-dimensional flavour. 

If brown sugar is the teenager who wears a nose ring and writes in diaries and "emotes", then Muscovado is a full on goth with black lipstick, facial piercings, and her own death metal band. It's the real deal. 

It's also insanely expensive, which is why I normally don't use it. I remember unpacking groceries one afternoon and Mum waving the receipt in my face going WHAT THE HELL KIND OF SUGAR COSTS $15 A BAG.


The various recipes I pulled together for this had a consensus cooking time of 12 minutes. It needed closer to 15. And as I said above, they ARE very cakey. Do not hold out for a crisp traditional chocolate chip cookie because they will burn and possibly take your kitchen with them.

Note the cakey-ness. And in some cases the cakey-ness becoming cookie-splodgey-ness.

I think if I do these again I will add more oatmeal, and possibly a bit less sugar. In my "ideal cookie" universe I'd like these to be a bit firmer and not so sweet that Mum remarks on it.



Final verdict, hopefully, will be a good one. The cookie-transporter has been transported and I very much hope the Lovely Librarians are sampling them as I type. (I even did holiday-appropriate orange construction paper this time, you guys!)





I have the house to myself tonight (I mean, apart from the cats) and I am desperately hoping that I get trick or treaters. I have a bowl of candy already waiting by the side door and a Fox Mask to wear while distributing. I'm not super optimistic, though. Living in East Bumblefart, MA means that the trick or treating happens at the elementary school in the middle of the day and that I'm very probably not going to get anyone.

BUT I SHALL BE READY.

I even bought extra Reese Cups. I know how these kids roll.


BEETLE WISHES YOU A HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment